Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Equilibrium

Ever notice how people who have experienced little strife in their lives don't seem to appreciate how great they have it? One of my fav quotes (as seen at the bottom of this page) speaks to this: it is a German proverb that goes something along the lines "without the bitter, one cannot appreciate the sweet." I think it's so true. See the following lists for proof.

Reasons why yesterday sucked:

- Lack of sleep. Never a good thing for me. I get really grumpy. Sorry to all who were forced to experience me yesterday.
- Worried about my roomie- she had been hacking up lungs for three days at that point and was also sleep deprived. Not good.
- It was gray and yucky outside.
- Took me 10 minutes to get into the damn car. It's really not that complicated- I'm just a spaz.
- Arrived at work to find my chair and keyboard buried in new 'top priority' things to do.
- Boss decided I needed more things to do, so commissioned me to do her 'top priority' grunt work.
- People who I, for some unknown and unquantifiable reason, care for, were once again being boneheads and unintentionally saying/doing things that cut me to the quick. Ouch.
- Stupid goddamned security ticketed the car TWICE! One for parking without a pass, and one for parking in 'visitor' parking. Forty-five fucking dollars. Wouldn't it stand to reason that I would park there if I didn't have a pass?? Jerks.
- My student told me that I looked tired. Code for- you look like crap. She meant well, but I just didn't need to hear it.

In vast contrast, here are the reasons why today is sooooooooooo much better than yesterday (once again suggesting that life might just be a zero-sum game...):

- Got something ridiculous like six, count them- SIX, hours of sleep last night.
- Woke up to the radio announcing that Bryan Adams AND Kathleen Edwards are playing the AUC in April, and that tickets are affordable!! (ok... more affordable than most concerts these days... has anyone else noticed that the price for live entertainment has become exorbitant??)
- Good cup o' coffee this am.
- Roomie has all but stopped coughing. This is a good sign!
- The sun is actually shining.
- Found a stellar 'general' parking spot just a stone's throw from my building. (Ha! Try ticketing me now, assholes!!!)
- Tickets are being contested.
- Completely lost it and bit my bosses head off, which means I've scared her, and she'll now leave me alone for a day or two. (what? She was treating me like a retarded three-year-old... you would have done it too... you know you would have.)
- Had the pleasure of striking a BIG item off of my 'top priority To Do' list. (the work one, not the life one.)
- About to go have lunchy mcluncherton with Therese and visit SF all in one shot... (hopefully SB will be there and the opportunity to trip him or spit in his hair will present itself... yes- I've resorted to petty means of satisfying my need for retribution for SF.)
- Have, for some unknown but not unwelcome reason, adopted a complete and total 'fuck you' attitude towards those people who are too stupid to realize when and why their actions are hurtful to me. I really don't have time to explain, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist, so just go away.

Ahhhhh. Equilibrium has returned. But see? Without all the crap from yesterday, today's events would just seem like mundane nothingness. The moral of the story? Never wish your life away. Even the bad stuff leads you to things that can end up being better than good.

9 Comments:

At 8:56 AM, Blogger Thérèse said...

"You look tired." is always = "You look like crap."

In any language. Why do people insist and still say it? Dumbasses.

I only regret that I didn't "experience you" yesterday.

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Thérèse said...

I really don't have time to explain, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist, so just go away.

I love that.

You know you really want to say this though.

I really don't have time to explain, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist, so just fuck off somewhere.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger jenn said...

ahhhh, how right you are, Therese.

ps- really... there was no need for anyone to experience me yesterday... when possible, I just removed myself from society so as to cause less damage

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Grumball said...

Ouch! What a tale of woe upon woe!

Yesterday was bad for a lot of people, it seemed. Me included. I was late for a meeting with my supervisor (actually he called me at home, where I was happily drinking grapefruit juice and blogging in my dressing gown, wondering where I was), and once there he reminded me about the invitation extended to me for dinner with him and his wife... three days ago. Fuck. Few better ways to make a bad impression, I think.

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger jenn said...

Ok... this is why we WRITE THINGS DOWN. That seriously sucks tho... I had a similar experience once: I, who seldom sleep past 8am, slept through a 10am meeting with my supervisor and RA partner... not pretty (I think my blood pressure still rises at the mere memory).

Was the dinner three days ago, or the invitation issued three days ago? Either way, you have plenty of time to redeem yourself... just invest in a day-planner and learn to love it.

 
At 6:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do seem to remember a certain Ms. Carkner calling on a certain, Ms. Keating EARLY on Sunday Mornings in our youth.

Fun times. Hope tomorrow is better.

Your friend,
Julie;)

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger jenn said...

Hahahahhaa! Too true, Jules... but never before 9am... that was the rule. Oh how I used to wait for the clock to strike 9!!!

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Nabeel said...

yes I totoally agree/believe in this proverb .. not just because it's a proverb and is philosphy but its logical .. makes sense and is TRUE.

 
At 4:00 AM, Blogger jenn said...

Nabeel- I couldn't agree more- it's dialectical, in a way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home