Ever notice how people who have experienced little strife in their lives don't seem to appreciate how great they have it? One of my fav quotes (as seen at the bottom of this page) speaks to this: it is a German proverb that goes something along the lines "without the bitter, one cannot appreciate the sweet." I think it's so true. See the following lists for proof.
Reasons why yesterday sucked:
- Lack of sleep. Never a good thing for me. I get really grumpy. Sorry to all who were forced to experience me yesterday.
- Worried about my roomie- she had been hacking up lungs for three days at that point and was also sleep deprived. Not good.
- It was gray and yucky outside.
- Took me 10 minutes to get into the damn car. It's really not that complicated- I'm just a spaz.
- Arrived at work to find my chair and keyboard buried in new 'top priority' things to do.
- Boss decided I needed more things to do, so commissioned me to do her 'top priority' grunt work.
- People who I, for some unknown and unquantifiable reason, care for, were once again being boneheads and unintentionally saying/doing things that cut me to the quick. Ouch.
- Stupid goddamned security ticketed the car TWICE! One for parking without a pass, and one for parking in 'visitor' parking. Forty-five fucking dollars. Wouldn't it stand to reason that I would park there if I didn't have a pass?? Jerks.
- My student told me that I looked tired. Code for- you look like crap. She meant well, but I just didn't need to hear it.
In vast contrast, here are the reasons why today is sooooooooooo much better than yesterday (once again suggesting that life might just be a zero-sum game...):
- Got something ridiculous like six, count them- SIX, hours of sleep last night.
- Woke up to the radio announcing that Bryan Adams AND Kathleen Edwards are playing the AUC in April, and that tickets are affordable!! (ok... more affordable than most concerts these days... has anyone else noticed that the price for live entertainment has become exorbitant??)
- Good cup o' coffee this am.
- Roomie has all but stopped coughing. This is a good sign!
- The sun is actually shining.
- Found a stellar 'general' parking spot just a stone's throw from my building. (Ha! Try ticketing me now, assholes!!!)
- Tickets are being contested.
- Completely lost it and bit my bosses head off, which means I've scared her, and she'll now leave me alone for a day or two. (what? She was treating me like a retarded three-year-old... you would have done it too... you know you would have.)
- Had the pleasure of striking a BIG item off of my 'top priority To Do' list. (the work one, not the life one.)
- About to go have lunchy mcluncherton with Therese and visit SF all in one shot... (hopefully SB will be there and the opportunity to trip him or spit in his hair will present itself... yes- I've resorted to petty means of satisfying my need for retribution for SF.)
- Have, for some unknown but not unwelcome reason, adopted a complete and total 'fuck you' attitude towards those people who are too stupid to realize when and why their actions are hurtful to me. I really don't have time to explain, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist, so just go away.
Ahhhhh. Equilibrium has returned. But see? Without all the crap from yesterday, today's events would just seem like mundane nothingness. The moral of the story? Never wish your life away. Even the bad stuff leads you to things that can end up being better than good.