Thursday, January 26, 2006

Finding order in the chaos???

SO.

It has been a few days since I've posted, and for good reason. Yesterday was the big day... that's right: MOVING DAY. I started at 6 am and, with the help of Tobin (read: ROOMIE!!!), Meagan, and my parents (for a bit), I managed to have everything out of the old place, into the new, and the old place spic and span by 4 pm... not too bad if I do say so myself. That left just enough time to set up my bed (don't you hate coming home dead-tired at 11pm and having to put your bed together?? Not good.), go teach, help Tobin move her stuff in, and then unwind with the help Meagan's FANTABULOUS martinis (just make sure the cover is on the shaker, Muffin. Hehehehehehe.)

In discussing this momentous task with people (for whatever reason... what?), Tobin and I have both run into the same reaction. When we answer people's questions as to who helped us move all our stuff, there is almost universal surprise that there were very few men involved in the process. This is very annoying to me for a number of reasons. First of all, I am more able to move heavy objects than most of the men I am acquainted with (and beat several of them in an arm wrestle taboot). Secondly, they say this AFTER I've mentioned that my Dad helped out- I am indignant on his behalf. And finally (and most importantly) it is the implication that it is necessary to have a man help a woman move. I mean, COME ON!

Do these people actually mean to suggest that women are not capable of hauling heavy objects to and fro? I offer yesterday's splendidly smooth move as incontrovertible evidence that they certainly are. So there.

ps- I feel it necessary to make a quick comment on the election:

I, like most of you, was most displeased (yet, sadly, not surprised) with the triumph of the Tories on Monday evening. That said, I comfort myself by repeating the following mantra:

They've got a minority: They won't be able to do shit. They've got a minority: They won't be able to do shit. They've got a minority: They won't be able to do shit.

Try it out... see if it helps.

8 Comments:

At 7:41 AM, Blogger Thérèse said...

You're gonna kill me for saying this.

But...


In general (and I do say in general), men have a better sense of space than women do. As in, they're better at seeing the big picture. Packing for maximum space and minimum moving.

And in general, men are more muscular than women.

In general.

(Fully expects to die.)

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger jenn said...

I'm not gonna kill you, T! (I heart you too much!!!)

But I am gonna refute it ALL! ;)

I don't buy into the perception of space thing at all... personally I think it's a big ol'load of BS.

As for the whole packing for maximum space and minimum moving, all of my experiences with that is men putting WAAAAAY to much in one box and hurting themselves getting from point A to point B. A hernia is NOT a good thing. I'd rather make an extra trip or two and avoid day surgery, thanks.

In general, men do have more upper body strength, and this would probably come in handy when moving a piano or a fridge, but when moving boxes (strategically packed to avoid hernias) and empty dressers, this is not a factor. Why should it matter the sex of the movers? If you don't have the upper body strength, you'll just find a way to compensate, and the job will get done all the same.

Truth be told, the secret to a successful move is taking your time, having lots of help (male or female: it matters not), and keeping the beer (and martinis) on ice ;)

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Thérèse said...

And Jenn? It helps.

 
At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beer! I didn't know there was beer!

 
At 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree Jenn, our father getting a bag caught on the door knob and dropping all of his boxes in your teeny tiny stairwell only reinforces the point!

Your aching sister

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger jenn said...

Anonymous: Oh, there was beer alright! If you'd like, you can always come over at a later date, and we'll remedy this egregious oversight... ;)

Aching Sister: Hahahahahahhahahaha! I was not aware of this episode. So THAT'S why all that stuff is broken!!! ps- I trust you are ok, Dad?

 
At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope everything is okay, John, Jenn, and Meagan... HAHAHAHAHA that was funny. I am sorry, but if it wasn't for my FATHER helping the move here in Ottawa in August mom and I would not have made it.

Were your clothes nice and sticky Meagan after your Martini epi?!

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I'll comment more over the weekend.
HAve a good one girls.


Julie! @)---)---------

 
At 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't remember....

Meagan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home