Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Deleted?!

What's worse than being yelled at for something that you didn't do first thing in the morning? Being yelled at for something you didn't do AND being unable to log into your computer first thing in the morning, that's what!

The gods were allied against me this morning: no serene morning ritual for Jenn today! Oh no... I just HAD to pick up the phone didn't I? Geez, I hate it when I do that!

Anyway, after replacing the phone on the hook and putting my other slipper on (that's right- I wear slippers at the office...), I sat down to log into my computer and start the day only to be told that I wasn't allowed in!!

GAH!

I was (and still am) absolutely certain that I had entered my password correctly, although having just changed it last week, I decided to try every combination of old passwords that came to mind...

...just in case...

... no go...

So a quick call was placed to the Helpdesk (which is usually very helpful) , and here begins our tale...

After determining that I could not, in fact, log into my computer using any form of my login ID, the helpful guy at the helpdesk (hereafter known as HGAH) instructed me to try to log into my eServices on another computer, since the passwords are syncronized. I followed his instructions, and was unsuccessful. So at this point, it appears to the whole world that Jenn is just a dolt who has forgotten her password... (but I was SO SURE!) so HGAH begins a lecture-style rant on how "we all must be very careful not to forget our passwords..."
Now, I understand that resetting a system for something as simple as a forgotten password is a HUGE pain in the ass, but given all the security precautions they make us take nowadays (under absolutely NO circumstances are we to write our passwords down; the system does not allow you to reuse elements from past passwords, etc.), how can a body help but forget the damn thing?? Especially when it's only been reset a week prior?!?!

That said, I still maintain that I was entering the CORRECT password... that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

But I digress... so here we are, HGAH and I, on the phone. He thinks I'm an idiot now, I just know he does. And that's ok... so long as he can get me into my computer... I NEED my computer!!! If I don't have it, I might as well go home for the day!

heeeeyyyyy... wait a minute...

*shakes head*

No! Too much work to do! Must have operational computer!!

At this point, HGAH thinks he's found a back door: just find my user ID on the system and reset from there. So he takes me through said backdoor only to find that my user ID isn't there... I've been... DELETED!!!

!!!!!PANIC!!!!!

Thus HGAH calmly tells me this is too complex to do over the phone and that I will have to defer to the Level 1 in my building. Great.

So I spent the morning trying to find stuff to file and waiting for our Level 1 to visit me. All the while sending longing glances at the now-useless hunk of metal on my desk... my tunes! my email! I can't hack it! I MUST be connected!!!

It is at this point that the thought that I might just be a leeeettle bit dependant on my Baby, I mean, my computer, flits through my mind...

Nahhhhhhh.

To make an already long story a bit shorter, Beloved Level 1 Guy shows up mid-morning and has everything fixed in a jiffy (that's right. I said jiffy). I adore Level 1 Guy. He is my hero. This one's for you Level 1 Guy!

*ahem*

'Turns out that I had NOT been deleted at all- my user ID was just 'hiding'... so we found it... but my password still wouldn't work. So we reset that, and all was well.

They all think I'm an idiot now... I'm probably on the idiot list down at the Helpdesk by this point. Oh well. The damage is done...

I still- and will to my dying day- maintain that the password I put in was the correct one. The system just ate my password. That's all there is to it.

Speaking of eating things... Morty has struck again. MORTY! WHAT did I tell you about taking the unblemished socks??!!

7 Comments:

At 12:17 PM, Blogger Thérèse said...

You and I both know that sock-thieves don't listen. And nor do helpdesk lecturers.

There are worse things than being thought of as dumb by those people though. I can think of 2; actually being dumb, or being one of them.

Heeheehee.

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Grumball said...

Well said Thérèse. Such a tale of tedium. Level 1s are not all good though... its good to have connections to geniuses who can outdo all of tech services combined. One such genius exists at unb that I know of. He works quietly away in the electron microscopy division. You have to know how to contact him to get real results.

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger jenn said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger jenn said...

It truly IS a tale of tedium. I couldn't agree more, grumball- those wonderful rembrandts who operate under the radar are truly diamonds in the rough. I know one or two myself, but I like to save using up their time for when I've got something either really important or really special in the works... this mornings events, while annoying, did not qualify...

ps- now I'm totally paranoid about forgetting my passwords... gah!

 
At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the same thing happen to me a couple of months ago. They deleted me "accidently" but I got the sneaking suspicion I was being edged out! The techie who fixed the problem assured me otherwise though.... definitely cause for paranoia!
Meagan

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger jenn said...

hmmmmmm... good point, Meagan... maybe they're trying to tell me something... MAYBE they're trying to tell me that I'm tired of this town and it's time to move on!!! Oh no, wait... that's just my inner monologue. Go figure.

ps- I doubt you have much cause for your paranoia...

 
At 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's this about you being 28 in Korea, how old does that me now. HOLY! I am afraid to ask.

Will talk to you again soon.

Miss yah kiddo!

Julie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home