Saturday, January 14, 2006

Gah! My feet are gonna be soooo wet by the end of this...

Ok- It's Saturday morning- Market morning- and it's pouring... I'm talking monsoon. This, in conjunction with the fact that it's the middle of January means that a nice layer of extra-slippiness is currently being added to the already icy sidewalks, thereby turning them all into ICY PATHS of DEATH! The problem is this- the Market is seriously calling my name, but it's gonna be so wet and icy out there, I really don't want to brave it...

but... but... I REALLY want samosas! Mmmmmmm.... spicy triangles of goodness... And bagles! wonderful spheres of sesame- seed-encrusted goodness... And a sausage! And a HUGE skinny cappuccino! Dammit. There's nothing for it. I'll have to risk it...

~two hours later~

Ok... so the rain actually stopped, so I was only slightly sopping by the time I walked the three and a half blocks... (I hate not having a car.) And the icy paths of death were not quite so icy (with the exception of the occasional hidden patch - left there for the sole purpose of making sure I'm paying attention.) So all in all, not as bad as I thought it would be.

HOWEVER, I had not been at the Market long before I realized that I SHOULD NOT be allowed to be around people today.

The bagels were gone- no bagels for Jenn- *sniff*

This in itself is enough of a disappointment, but then I got stuck in the crazy (and for some reason VERY slow) samosa line behind two women with ~sixteen rowdy kids between the two of them (alright, a slight exaggeration, but on a pre- caffeination Saturday morning, six kids seems like sixteen...) and all I can do is stand there getting more and more annoyed because I just KNOW that by the time I get my samosas, all the Bratwurst are going to be gone from the sausage place...

I know it's my own fault for going so late, but that only serves to increase my annoyance...

So I finally get the spicy triangles of goodness... manage to circumvent the gaggle of rowdy kids, and gain the freedom of the outdoors, hot on the trail of a yummy, delicious, oh-so-satisfying sausage...

I get in line behind this group of extremely over-hung Uni students who seem to be straddling the two lines... and just as the man in front of me is paying for his food, this guy appears out of nowhere and butts in front of me... he must have been lying in wait... and to top it all off, he seems to know the sausage lady, and thus strikes up a conversation! GAH!!!!

"It's fine," I say to myself, trying to hold back the sudden urge to scream, "you're next... it's OK..."

All I can say is he's bloody lucky he didn't take the last Bratwurst. He would have regretted that. Oh yes... yes he would have. But he didn't take the last one... so I was able to purchase my sausage with german mustard for two dollars and fifty cents, and with it, the feeling of contentment as I walked towards Brunswick Street and left the crazy and annoying market crowd behind...

That in combination with the all-that-I-hoped-it-would-be Grande Skinny Cappuccino, the company of my soon-to-be roomie, and a visit to our new, SPECTACULAR apartment, has brought me back to a pleasant sort of neutral place. My blood pressure has been restored to normal levels... but that said, I think I should avoid unneccessary contact with humans today. Just to be safe...

9 Comments:

At 12:32 PM, Blogger jenn said...

You could always pick up some spicy triangles of goodness from the convenience store on University Ave... although you would have to be jonesing pretty bad to go all that way. In the rain. And the ice. ok... so fries it is! hahaha :D

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Grumball said...

Yeah I haven't found any samosas in Calgary yet.. actually I've been forgetting to ask anyone. Or bratwurst. Or a fun market. There's a "market mall" but apparently it is, in fact, a mall. Probably built over the site of a once-market. For shame. Amusing tale of woe tho. Cheers.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger jenn said...

The Market Mall is, in fact, a mall, but it is a quirky kind of mall that exists in an old market building... There are some good pubs nearby and the mall itself contains this awesome little store that carries nought but imported British food items... including copious amounts of Marmite (if memory serves me correctly), and would therefore be well worth a visit for you ;)

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Thérèse said...

I love that in this, your second post ever, you used the following words

a) bratwurst
b) triangles of goodness

and yet... they were both not euphemisms.

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger jenn said...

Therese, you are a sick, sick woman. ;)

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Thérèse said...

Nah. I just like pointing out interestingly freudian facts.

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger jenn said...

Fair enough- the thought entered my mind as I was typing, but I thought... nah- live dangerously! use BRATWURST!!!

 
At 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn! I visited your blog per our conversation at the Snooty Fox tonight. See! Human contact wasn't THAT bad.
I just wanted to tell you that you talk/type like I do...weird.
Sarah

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger jenn said...

No! Human contact GOOD. Actually, it was a lot of fun!! (I really don't mean to sound so surprised... honest!)

As for our similar talking/typing styles, what can I say? Great minds think alike ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home