Thursday, January 19, 2006

The List

It has been a day of lists... mainly to-do lists... but also some what-do-I-want-in-a-partner lists.

I like lists... I use them ALL the time. So I'm going to do something I've been meaning to do for a while and create my Life's To Do List. (hahahhahahhaha! I just said 'to do' three times in one sentence!)

(The what-do-I-want-in-a-partner lists don't really suit me 'cause my only stipulation in partner selection is that I want someone that fits. If someone fits, and both parties are willing, then the rest can be worked out. I have no idea what criteria would be required for someone to fit: every guy I've ever dated (which isn't really that many) has caught me by surprise. All I can say is that I know it when I see it. That, and I'm certain that chopping livestock will NEVER fit.)

When I come to the end of my life, the things listed below (in no particular order) are the things I think I will regret not having done, unless, of course, I've already done them ;)
1- Visit Africa. Several times, and different regions if possible.
2- Become a good parent.
3- Fall madly and uncategorically in love with someone who loves me the same way.
4- Live in the UK. Again. At least for a little while.
5- Learn to speak AT LEAST three languages well. (empahsis on well)
6- Open a women's crisis and counselling centre.
7- Sip fresh espresso and munch a delicious something-or-other on the balcony of my hotel/apartment, which will overlook some fabulous scene in any one of many fabulous European cities/towns.
8- Learn how to pot.
9- Visit Scandanavia. I've always wanted to go to Copenhagen...
10- Own a really fantastic car. Even if it's only for a little while. Standard transmission.
11- Watch the Monaco Grand Prix live.
12- Read or re-read (and understand) the following texts: Hegel, Plato's Dialogues, Aristotle, The Second Sex, Herodotus, Lukacs, all 50 volumes of Marx, all 50 volumes of Lenin, all of Trotsky, the rest of TW's "top ten" list (if he ever tells us all of them...)... I'm sure more will be added to this at a later date...
13- Have a pet dog.
14- Have a REAL vegetable patch... one that actually produces edible food.
15- Learn how to take really great photos.
16- Find some form of work-out that doesn't annoy the crap out of me and stick with it.
17- Learn how to defend myself effectively.
18- Become a really cool grandparent.
19- Climb a mountain.
20- Visit Iceland.
21- Learn how to drive a motorcycle.
22- Sing in public. At least once. And I mean actually perform.
23- Never take the constants in my life, ie my family and friends, for granted. Never.
24- Learn how to live alone as well as how to live as one half of a couple. I suspect that each of these is equally difficult to learn, but in different ways.
25- Drive all the way along the Pacific Coast (ok... well at least from Vancouver to some point in Mexico).
26- Never stop fighting for what is right and true.
27- Appreciate the little things as much, if not more than, the big.

Ok- that's it for now! I'm sure I'll have more to add later ;)

13 Comments:

At 9:56 PM, Blogger Jay said...

That's a cool list. But what happens if you actually accomplish all these things and you're only like...40. Will your life feel empty then?

 
At 4:02 AM, Blogger jenn said...

Well after I finish being so impressed with myself for actually getting through and understanding all of Hegel , Marx, and Lenin by the tender age of 40(which will take me to AT LEAST 41) I'll just come up with the next TO DO list... 'cause there's ALWAYS something to do ;)

 
At 6:17 AM, Blogger Thérèse said...

I very much respect your list.

Oh, except for number 19.

Personally, I think climbing mountains is overrated.

I mean, you climb you climb you climb, then... you're there. So you have to climb back down. Seems kind of fruitless, really. Why do it?

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger Thérèse said...

Wait. It's not that I don't respect number 19.

I just don't really get it is all.

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger jenn said...

It's all about the journey, Therese... all about the journey.

 
At 6:27 AM, Blogger jenn said...

Well... the journey and the spectacular view...

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Thérèse said...

(thinks about it for a few minutes)

Nope, still don't get it.

 
At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

26 b) define what is right and true

 
At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

27 b) define little and big

 
At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

17 b) find things to attack me

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger jenn said...

Here you go, Joe:

26. Right and true= what is in the best interest for the majority of the population. ie- making sure that ALL people have, and can always obtain, what they need to live and thrive.
27. The little things in life: those moments and situations that aren't necessarily much on their own, but when you add them all up, mean much more than something like getting the job we wanted, or graduating from Uni, etc.
17. Until I can kung-fu your ass, I'll have to resort to hired muscle... but just you wait ;)

 
At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can help with the last one Jenn I'm feisty!

Meagan

 
At 5:54 AM, Blogger jenn said...

Excellent! I'll keep that in mind! Watch out Joe... there's an army brewing ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home