Tuesday, February 14, 2006

*sigh* Greeting-Card Day is here again...

In honour (or dishonour) of the Day, here is some random musing:

I know that, given my chocolate-loving tendencies, this will be viewed as sacriledge, but why do people tend to give their significant others chocolate on Valentine's Day? This is something I've never understood. Chocolate is a low-level anti-depressant... thus if you are in a happy relationship, I like to think there is no need for such gifts (unless there are extenuating circumstances, of course). Why not something fun? Something less cliche... Unless your significant other is completely chemically dependent on chocolate, in which case, go nuts!

Either way, it's a stupid excuse for a day. Why should there only be one day a year to tell your sweetie that you love him/her?? The whole occassion is essentially an overblown marketing ploy by greeting card companies. The person who came up with that one must have shrines built to him or her in the advertising world...

But I digress... down to business. There has been no small amount of pressure from certain parties for me to post a V-Day quiz... This was a difficult task as, believe it or not, I have never actually had a Valentine (thus my severe dislike of the annual reminder...) Unless you count Frankie Johnson. But that was the 4th grade, so I don't. Then again, he did give me a teddy bear... hmmmmm...

Anyway, here is what I've, somewhat feebly, managed to come up with:

In order to qualify to be Jenn's Valentine, you must:

1. Be articulate. Nothing is worse than going on a date and talking to yourself. (10 points)
2. Be self-assured enough to be truly comfortable with highly intelligent and assertive women. (30 points)
3. Be open to discussing politics. (Please note that I said discussing- not yelling about) (15 points)
4. Be able to discuss more than just politics. ('cause there is oh so much more to life) (10 points)
5. Enjoy movies- all kinds of movies. (5 points)
6. Not make the mistake of thinking I'm actually interested in discussing the finer points of Need for Speed or Doom. (5 points)
7. Enjoy music. Ten bonus points if you actually play an instrument of some form. (10 points)
8. Chew with your mouth closed. No smacking please. Ew. (10 points)
9. Like having a good time, but know your limits. If you are regularly smashed more than two nights a week, I'm not interested. (10 points)
10. Be able to take a hint. Two-by-fours need not apply. (10 points)
11. Have your own opinions. I enjoy a little opposition ;) (15 points)
12. Be passionate about something. I'm not picky as to the subject of said passion... so long as it's not creepy... (10 points)
13. Have showered in the last 24 hours. I don't care how great you are, smelliness on a date is NOT good. (10 points)

Ok- so there it is. The quiz is out of 150 points... high score wins. Mind you, this is just to qualify. I will be conducting interviews of the high scorers later this afternoon ;)

7 Comments:

At 8:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought chocolate is supposed to release a chemical that makes you feel like you're in love...

Either way I'll take it..mmmm chocolate!
Meagan

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger jenn said...

That's what I mean! If you're already in love, why do you need chocolate?? I think it's a con... but I'm also with you- bring on the cocoa! (then again, I'm not currently in love...)

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Grumball said...

Wow I got 145 points. Craziness. And yeah I agree with you, it is just another capitalism day, isnt it. Ahh well, I'll amuse myself with need for speed and grand theft auto (doom is ancient now, sorry).

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger jenn said...

oops... oh well. I never pretended to be a video game afficionado...

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Thérèse said...

I got 155.

Wayyyy to go thesese.

I think I deserve another hotchocolate.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger jenn said...

I congratulate you Therese... but I really think that another hot chocolate could be a bad plan... your boss would DEFINITELY notice then...

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Thérèse said...

No one knows anything I don't tell them Jennifer.

(pointed look, including the bugged out eyes thing)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home