Thursday, February 16, 2006

all hail to the gods of spring!

It smells like spring today. And by smells like spring, I don't mean the thawing-dog-shit stench that hits in mid-April... I mean the smell of new beginnings, or renewal. I don't know how else to describe it, but it's a good smell. The day is gorgeous, and even though I am relegated to watching it from my office window, it is really quite enjoyable.

I'm hoping that this feeling of renewal will continue, both outside and within me. Upon re-reading my posts for the last few weeks, I realize that I have been one CRABBY individual (again, apologies to all who have been forced to endure my crabbiness. Tobin, you are a saint- I would have put my head through a wall by now). This has got to stop. I don't even know where the last two months have gone. I've done nothing, really: my research, which I love, has ground to a halt; I've completely lost the desire to socialize in groups of more than four people; I haven't finished a book in over a month; my anal retentiveness/obsessive compulsivness has reached a previously-thought-unobtainable new high; and I just can't seem to get my bedroom fully unpacked. For those of you who don't know me, these are all extremely odd/disturbing signs.

I have, however, noticed similar signs in many of the people around me, so I've decided to chalk it all up to 'Winter Blues' (I know we haven't really had a winter, but everything is still dead as a doornail, and that's got to count for something, doesn't it?) and be done with it. I can feel spring in the air... so the time has come to reintroduce myself to myself and get out of this less-than-enjoyable funk. I miss me. Me is fun. Let the rejuvenation begin!!!

And in the spirit of rejuvenation, you must all go and read the Hungarian Phrasebook sketch, because it is a classic, and because laughter is an important component of growth.

7 Comments:

At 8:54 AM, Blogger Thérèse said...

We've been quite a pair lately, you and I.

It's ok. I get the feeling that it's a fleeting thing, and that pretty soon our normal selves will break free from their wintery dormant state. And we will be ourselves again!

Woohoo!

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger jenn said...

I'll drink to that! Stupid wintry state.... damn. I could never live in the North.

 
At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn,

I agree with the WINTER CRABBYNESS! It really sucks for sure, and it hasn't even been that cold this winter. BLAH!

I just read your first line about "dog shit" well that just gave me the worst case of the giggles at work. I am gonna have a silly smirk on my face for the next couple hours til I leave this joint for the day and prepare for our WILD WINTER weather.

Let's draw a picture.
10 CMS of snow, freezing, then up to PLUS 4 by morning, then freezing rain / snow / all that garbage shit, and down to -12 by mid afternoon tomorrow!! GAG!

Anywya, that's my story for the day so far, WELCOME TO OTTAWA/GATINEAU!

~Julie~

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger jenn said...

Ew. That just sounds gross, Jules. But don't feel too bad: According to one of the women in my office (and apparently the Weather Network), NB and NS are the only places in the country that haven't plunged into winter nastiness. Apparently it's -25 plus windchill in Calgary today. Yes, Graham. I'm laughing at you. Where's your 15 degrees now? Huh? Where is it? That's right. It's GONE! muahaahahahaha! Ok... I'm better now... I swear.

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Esperanza Molinar said...

Jenn!
I think we are even....the blood letting session made it thus.

Tobin

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger jenn said...

Agreed. Cl;ean slate it is then. ;)

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger jenn said...

Thanks, Sara! The boxes are all done... it's just a questions of getting the little knickknacks in place and stuff- right now they're in a pile on my desk. Hopefully the weather will motivate me to do it this weekend ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home