Ahhhhh... that's better!
I have no coherent vision for what this post should encompass, so be prepared for a scatterbrained account of the last couple of days!
It was a good weekend! Tobin and I broke in our new apartment properly with not one, but TWO nights of parties (ok, ok... one was not planned, but does that really matter? Really?) All I can say are the following things:
- enchiladas really are the food of the gods.
- impromptu house-parties rock;
- red wine and Mezcal DO NOT mix. period. (no really- take my word, and blood-red eye, for it...);
- futons are the most comfy pieces of furniture going;
- potlucks are definitely the way to go for house-warmings;
- 3am scarfing of trifle should become a time-honoured tradiation (Laura- YUM!!! It was seriously ALL gone in ~4 minutes. Seriously.);
- morning-after brunches and running into another group of morning-after friends should likewise become tradition;
- magnetic poetry is awesome (and incredibly hilarious when alcohol is involved in the composition);
- never trust a drunk man to clean up a broken glass, no matter how much he insists he can do it... (many people will get cut, and we like to minimize the cutting);
- daffodils are very pretty and make EXCELLENT house-warming presents! (thanks, Sarah!)
- having your own washer and dryer cannot be over-valued. There are no words for how much I love my washer and dryer.
AND THEN, in addition to this ALREADY stellar weekend, I attended a meeting of the Fredericton Social Network yesterday. It was very exciting to see people from different organizations and ideological backgrounds willing to work together within their commonalities. I'm so sick and tired of groups complaining about and bad-mouthing other organizations that are working towards the SAME GOAL because they differ on one or two points, rather than working with them. This was just SO refreshing. Could this be the beginning of a UNITED FRONT ?!?!?!
Really things are just getting off the ground with the FSN, but the idea of having organized links between all of the social groups in Freddy makes me think that we may finally be moving somewhere. We're organizing a weekend of workshops for late April. I'll keep you all posted on the details as decisions are made. Even if you don't want to give a workshop, maybe you'll want to attend them!!!
So really, the weekend was the perfect mix of social and political; of running around and down-time. Yup... it's -26 outside, but I definitely smell spring in the air. Happy Monday everyone!
ps- keep up the discussion on my last post- this is good!