Monday, June 05, 2006

in spite of the rain...

It's been a great few days!! For those of you who don't know, the feldgling Fredericton Social Network hosted the first ever Fredericton Social Forum this past weekend. The concept was more or less modelled on the World Social Forum, and we have high hopes to expand in future years to encompass all of New Brunswick, if not Atlantic Canada as a whole.

The Forum was a success, and I couldn't be more pleased! The house was more or less packed both days, we had contingents from all over the province and even a group from Halifax, and the speakers were wonderful. Somewhere in the midst of having our curiosity piqued and our political passions fuelled, we also managed to have a bit of good ol'fashioned fun, which consisted of highly amusing conversation (just think of hickey-scarves, crazy phrases such as "blessed to heaven" spoken in an outrageous Irish accent, chicken periods, and impressions Mr. Miyagi performing reiki on Daniel-san and you'll begin to comprehend...), ample amounts of the local brew, some free-style rapping (thank-you Asaf!), and a rousing round of protest songs that we managed to butcher gleefully... ah well... it's the sentiment that counts, right??

I am rejuvenated by the comraderie of the past weekend and the knowledge that for the first time in a long time, all of my hard work (and that of my fellow organizers) actually paid off. Perhaps I am beginning to see through the bars of my prison a bit?? Too soon to tell if it's going to stick, but I'm working on it!

Anywho... I'll be posting pics and more of the Forum when I get a chance. In the meantime, I wish you all a fantabulous Monday, and a productive week!

2 Comments:

At 7:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must say... DAMN! We're good! After months of organizing and fretting, we also managed to have a really great time:) Soooooo pleased!

Couple more weekend snippits for you all out there who didn't make it to the forum: crotch shots, boy bands, and boobs are better.

;P

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger jenn said...

Heee!!!!! Oh, I'm SO going to post the crotch shots! And boobs totally ARE better! Ahhhhh... the strong silent type... they didn't say much, but they were fun to look at! Too bad we couldn't get them to sing...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home