Tuesday, April 18, 2006

There goes Peter Cottontail...

Well, that's it. Tuesday is the new Monday- for this week at least... Sadly our spectacular long weekend has come to a close and now we must all eagerly await the next.

It was a magnifcently splendid spring weekend, complete with one fabulous day and three rainy ones... Who could ask for more, really?

The Market was certifiably insane on Saturday- everyone out to get their goodies for Easter Sunday and such- many folks home for the weekend and loading up on samosas...

The Tulip Man was being swarmed when I happened upon him in search of my weekly bunch- he was selling faster than he could bunch them. I was a little annoyed with two of the women who seemed to be trying to buy him out single-handedly. They actually argued over who got the last red and orange variegated tulip as if their Easter centre-pieces would be completely ruined without that one crucial flower. Grrrrrr...

but I digress....

As it turns out, my students (not being from a Christian country) had never heard of Easter before this year. Thus we have spent some time over the past few weeks discussing the point of the whole thing, the traditions, etc. It's quite amusing to watch an eleven-year-old crumple her face in confusion and disdain when you try to tell her (with a perfectly straight face) that North American children believe that their Easter chocolate is delivered to them by a giant Bunny (whom some have dubbed Peter Cottontail). Stick it in the same category as Santa and the Tooth Fairy- she knows she's being sold a bill of goods and she's not buying.

Their inquiries about what is consumed for Easter dinner (they are quite obsessed with "Canadian" food at the moment) were also very amusing- especially when I had to explain why roast rabbit was not only not common fare for the meal, but probably a bad idea...
visions of traumitized six-year-olds and tentative enquiries of "Mommy, are we eating the Easter Bunny?" danced through my head. Hee.

So, here I sit, one brunch, two magnificent Easter dinners, copious amounts of cheap chocolate, and four GLORIOUS days off richer than I was this time last week.

*Sigh*

I love Easter weekend. Can't wait to do it all again next year!

5 Comments:

At 6:51 AM, Blogger Thérèse said...

I think we should always get 4 day weekends.

Every weekend, every week of the year.

All the time.

It would be so heavenly.

I love holidays.

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger jenn said...

I couldn't agree more, Therese! People should spend more time living than working!!!

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Thérèse said...

Yes. I agree with you agreeing with me agreeing with you.

We should work to live not live to work. Or something.

I'm considering a change in career. I wanna be an elephant rider. In the circus, yes.

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger jenn said...

Therese- I truly love the idea of you being a professional elephant rider- I think you would be sensational!!!

Sarah- We did not really discuss the religious aspects of Easter... they don't get Christianity (not that I'm the best person to explain it!)...

That said, I posed the question to my Dad the other day... he suggested that the Romans had labelled the day 'Good' for obvious reasons... it made me chuckle and then pause to consider... what do you think? Hee.

 
At 5:14 AM, Blogger jenn said...

Sarah- nah! that's MUCH to wholesome... I prefer the bloody version myself... but then, I am a heathen so that's to be expected, right? ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home