Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Oops! Did I horn you?!

So Halloween has come and gone once again.

I really quite like All Hallows Eve... especially when it comes to manning the door at my parents house and greeting all of the neighbourhood kids- one of my favourite things to do. It's sort of a family tradition, you see. When I was growing up (and even still most years) My Mom and Dad would always get all costumed up. One of them would take my sister and I trick-or-treating, and the other would remain on door duty. It was great to watch my Dad in action at the door. He's always got a fabulous costume (my personal favorite was the very convincing California Raisin of 1988... does anyone besides me remember the California Raisins??) and never fails to grill the trick-or-treaters about their costumes, their candy haul, or whatever else might present itself. Those kids earn their candy at my house.

Since bridging the gap into 'adulthood' (is anyone really an adult at Halloween?), I've divided my time between the 'grown-up' Halloween parties, and door duty (fortunately, Halloween has a 5 in 7 chance of falling on a week night, so the parties are usually scheduled on the closest available weekend, thus freeing me up for door duty). This year, the party was also my friend's birthday. A group of us decided to go as... wait for it... the Spice Girls!

Look at us! Aren't we simply devastating? You'll note that, in keeping with an authentic Spice Girls look, I tried in vain to turn my cork-screw curls to Posh-pin straight, but alas, the rainy atmosphere had different plans.

I've got to say, it wasn't until we popped some old Spice Girls tunes on (you know, to get us in the mood), that I realized just how raunchy their lyrics are. What were we thinking?? But I digress...




Watch those things, Scary! I don't want to lose an eye! (I'm told that Tiffany, aka Scary Spice, was nearly reduced to cutting those things- actually gold christmas trees- out. Almost.)











... and here's Ginger (aka-my sister) striking a pose...











Bust a move, Graham! Oh, I mean... wait... who are you again?

This is Thuy (pronounced Twee) and Colin,
aka- a butterfly nymph and the undead...



















As you can see, a good time was had by all (despite the rain and the fact that come 1am there wasn't a single cab to be found in the whole of downtown) and the costumes were suprisingly entertaining.

Three nights later, I did door duty once again (as a slightly more wholesome gypsy this time), and was highly entertained by a variety of ghouls, goblins, a sleeping bunny, one very small giraffe, and a jack-o-lantern extinguishing turtle. Hee :D
.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 11:13 AM, Blogger Jay said...

Sounds like fun.
I had a plastic california raisin lunchbox as a kid, and I once dressed up as one also...just not for Halloween. Don't ask.

 
At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was SOOOO much fun being a Spice Girl... but I can't get their songs out of my head! Seriously, almost a full week later and every time I catch myself singing in my head it's a Spice Girls song:(

Also, Christopher Hitchens said that Baby is definitely his favourite Spice Girl now... ;P

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Mycaelus said...

I remember the California Raisins! Remember that.

 
At 6:10 AM, Blogger jenn said...

Jay- Sure. Dangle that scintillating little tidbit and then just yank it away. Gawd. Hee ;)

Michelle- Well, Mr.Hitchens had better prefer Baby Spice, otherwise, the other Spices would gang up and woop his ass. (Oh! and I finally figured out who Hitchens IS! British! Journalist! Critical!)

Mycaelus- Trust me, I will.

 
At 5:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenn - the GANG looked like you all had a GREAT time.

Needless to say - I can't remember Dad's California Raisin costume, altho I definately remember who they were as a "group". Such memories.

PS:
Meagan you are looking good these days too. Been so long since I have seen you all as a family. Some day we'll have to meet up again. :)

Take care Jenn.
Jules!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home