Sunday, December 31, 2006

New Year's Resolutions...

Well. It's been a busy week. First came Christmas, which this year included a fantabulous dinner with my Korean students, who had never tasted turkey before. My family has never really had guests for Christmas dinner, as our extended family lives elsewhere, so this made for a nice change. Four days later, it was my birthday: I am officially in my late 20's and as many of you know, I'm not entirely happy about that. But then, as my Grandpa used to say, it sure beats the alternative! Third, and finally, New Year's Eve is now upon us. Thus, this week has essentially been one long excuse for unimpeded imbibing of alcoholic substances, consuming of delicious goodies, and lazing about in general. It's been nice.

I am beginning to mourn the fact that in less than 48 short little hours I will be slogging my way back to work. Seriously- this week I have slept better than I have in the last two years, and I attribute it to the fact that I haven't been at work. Sad.

But I digress.

With tonight's festivities, comes the age old tradition of naming our New Year's resolutions. This is the one day of the year during which people are actually encouraged to be self-reflective- something some of us all too often forget to be. So what shall I resolve this year? In a sort of omnibus resolution (followed by a resounding 'DUH!' from the peanut gallery) I resolve to make 2007 a better year than 2006. True, it won't be hard to accomplish this, as 2006, in my experience, was a particular stinker, but there are a few points that I will concentrate on (in no particular order):

1. I will find a job that doesn't cause me undue stress and depression.
2. I will continue to work towards my latest goals.
3. I will continue to rid myself of poisonous relationships... I think I've already got most of them, but I also need to make sure I stay rid of them (I'm a bit of a doormat that way).
4. I will continue to work on fixing the emotional problems that have plagued me since my teenaged years.
5. I will learn to, if not love, at least like myself.
6. I will write more.
7. I will live more.

And no, I am not so naive to think that the clock will be reset and that my problems will evaporate simply because I am exchanging my Giverny calendar for one of Scottish landscapes. Nor have I waited for said changing of the guard to commence the changes I deem necessary (note the verb 'continue' in sub-resolutions 2, 3, and 4). But still, it appears that I've got my work cut out for me. Never fear, though. I've got some excellent friends, tons of sappy movies, good music, this blog, pretty toes, and gallons of coffee and wine to get me through ;)

What are your resolutions??

Oh, and-

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 1:27 PM, Blogger Lisa Dale said...

Happy Birthday Jenn!! May your late 20's be a source of inspiration and happy memories for you later in life.

One of my New Year's resolutions is to have a Stitch 'N Bitch night soon!

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger jenn said...

Thanks, Monkey! I quite like that resolution ;) I'm currently endeavouring into my first pair of socks and working up the motivation to commence my first lacing project... should be interesting!!

 
At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

must be tough to have such poisonous relationships. Ever think it might have something to do with you?

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger jenn said...

First of all, everybody has poisonous relationships- it doesn't mean that either party is a bad person, just that two people don't work well together, and that the relationship can become detrimental to one or both parties.

Second of all, yes, I have thought that- hence resolution #4.

Oh, and I don't have them anymore. Thank god. Life is too short for that crap.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home